STA BR EX® Antimicrobial Technology
STA•BR•EX Antimicrobial Technology is the world’s first stable liquid brominebased antimicrobial, which makes it easier to apply and safer to handle than chlorine or other bromine-based products.
Uncontrolled microorganisms can create a biofilm that inhibits the performance of cooling towers, condensers and heat exchangers. STA•BR•EX, a stabilized bromine antimocrobial, was invented to control these biofilms. Many current microbial fouling
control treatment methods use chlorine and solid-based bromine, which are highly volatile and reactive and hazardous to use. The STA•BR•EX program manages the difficult problem of industrial biofouling in a more effective and environmentally sensitive way.
Key advantages of STA•BR•EX include:
- Compatibility – less aggressive than other oxidizing biocides to scale and corrosion inhibitors used in industrial water treatment
- Low volatility – results in lower halogen feed rates, less odor, better tower fill fouling prevention and lower air emissions
- Biofilm removal – penetrates and removes biofilms to help maintain clean heat transfer systems.
- Liquid – easy to safely feed and control
- Effectiveness – better performance at high pH, more persistent than chlorine
- Environmental compliance – less reaction with organic contaminants to help meet AOX and THM discharge restrictions; higher Reportable Quantity than bleach
- Stability – activity of product won’t decompose in storage, which leads to cost-effective control; fewer hours required to feed a consistent dose